September 14th, Monett in southwestern Missouri
Today’s afternoon was a long drive through Missouri on Highway 44S. Our first destination is Monett, MO at
Joyce’s sister Sharon’s home for a little gathering with family over
dinner and a wedding on Sunday. The weather is just perfect and
we had the windows down for our drive though lots of farmland. We haven’t gotten into the truly flat prairie
yet and enjoyed rolling hills and
some nice vistas of open pastures and tall oaks. There is one thing that I think deters from travelers seeing the beauty of their surroundings and that is billboards. They were everywhere along this highway and it does take away one’s views. When you drive in states that don’t allow them you get an altogether more positive feel and view of the territory. Still, it was a pleasant drive in the sunshine and both of us had a hard time not inching the speedometer upwards. The Mini is driving great and neither one of us is having any soreness or tight backs from all the driving so far.
some nice vistas of open pastures and tall oaks. There is one thing that I think deters from travelers seeing the beauty of their surroundings and that is billboards. They were everywhere along this highway and it does take away one’s views. When you drive in states that don’t allow them you get an altogether more positive feel and view of the territory. Still, it was a pleasant drive in the sunshine and both of us had a hard time not inching the speedometer upwards. The Mini is driving great and neither one of us is having any soreness or tight backs from all the driving so far.
We arrived at Sharon and Rich’s home in a pretty
suburb that still feels rural. I had
never been here so I was meeting and shaking hands with extended family as I
moved through their adorable home. The
family is gathered together for Danielle and Barry’s wedding on Sunday evening
so there is a celebratory atmosphere circulating. Before dinner we were in the basement den
hanging out at the bar and I tasted a new tequila that I definitely plan on
stocking at home….Bear Hug Chili-infused Tequila! Mmmhmmm….it’s a keeper, smooth with a nice
spicy kick. Terri and I had a shot of
the special tequila while Joyce and Randy sipped on Famous Grouse Scotch for
the cocktail hour. In there somewhere
was a mixed drink called a Kinky that was pale pink-colored and delicious. I have no idea what went into it but Jamie
can be my bartender anytime. This is my kind of family.
-Kelly
It was great seeing the house. I really liked the layout and the way Sharon and Richard had decorated. There is plenty of room for guests and entertaining and yet it has a comfortable, cozy fell to it.
ReplyDelete