Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Park City And Feeling Like The 1%


September 22nd, Park City 

After a great morning at Dinosaur, we hopped into the Mini that had evidence of ancient soil clinging to the floormats and headed off on a relatively short drive to Park City, Utah.  We had driven more than 7 hours the day before so Sunday’s travel time of 3 and a half hours seemed like a breeze.  The terrain changed a couple more times…leaving behind the more dry, desert-like basin of mountain ranges with hardly any foliage to alpine mountains with pines and aspens.   The weather eventually cleared and turned into a pretty day. 

We arrived at our Airbnb house situated on a small bench of foothills with the vast expanse of a nature preserve in the foreground view and the big mountains beyond. 
This was a home right out of a fancy architectural or luxury home magazine.
Our hostess, Silvia, was out of town but we had been communicating over the last couple days and were assured of easy access and other occupants of the house to help us acclimate.  We never bothered with keys as they don’t lock their doors around that neighborhood.  This is where that feeling of being in the 1% world began kicking in.   Then it was solidified as we toured through the house. It was a stunning and gorgeously decorated home on a grand scale. We were two of four people staying in the house and we rarely ever heard anyone else. 


The other traveler, Kelly from Canada, showed us to our master bedroom suite taking up the whole top floor with beautiful views visible from all angles and even when prone on the bed.  I eyeballed the large whirlpool bath with an agenda for the near future.  The campsite had no showers so I was feeling less than fresh. 

Joyce and I unloaded and settled in, fully appreciating the luxury we were enveloped in.  Silvia was out of town visiting family but Jane, her live-in tenant, welcomed us and gave us the basic low down on how this new world rolled in the day to day….laid back and chill, self-sufficiency mixed with the direct missive from Silvia (via text) to help ourselves to food and drink, and almost every need anticipated. 

Since we had arrived in the early evening around 5:30pm, we were just beginning to consider dinner.  Or I was thinking of it and Joyce was focused on the Steelers game.  What is so funny is that while I’m not really a football fan, I am the one who reminds her when game time rolls around. Hah!  She was lounging on the bed and I mentioned the game, asking how she would feel about ordering pizza and just chillin’ here.  That got a big smile and “Really, you wouldn’t mind?”.  Who could mind relaxing in such a place? 


I did a quick run to a nearby grocery store for a few things and beer, happy that I could remember a bit about how to get around in Park City.  I had lived in the Salt Lake City area for a couple years and this town had been a favorite place to come for entertainment on many fronts.  It felt very familiar even though 11 years had gone by. 


I got back ready for some lounging of my own to find that the Steelers were not doing so well, yet again.  This season has not gotten off to a good start for Joyce’s favorite team at all.  Luckily, she may be disappointed but she doesn’t let it get to her.  We had a relaxing evening in the plush comfort of the living room where I read some and then fell asleep on the divan with the resident pug named Tyson. 
He is a sweet little fella who is 16 and although deaf and mostly blind, he gets around quite well and has an easy-going disposition. He didn’t need much encouragement to hop up and cuddle with me.  He had his person missing so was feeling a bit lonely I think.  With the exception of the Steelers loss, it was a really nice first night in our Airbnb home.  We were looking forward to a couple days of exploring and I was happy that it looked like great weather for showing off one of my favorite Utah cities to Joyce.  

No comments:

Post a Comment