Sunday, September 15, 2013

Moving on South


September 14th, St. Louis to Monett, Missouri


On Saturday morning we slowly got ourselves together for another leg of our journey; much alcohol was consumed over the last couple days so slow is the operative word.  We were leaving St. Louis and driving south along I-44 to Monett and Joplin, Missouri for the wedding of Danielle, Joyce’s niece and her partner Barry. 
We had about 4 hours of driving but had a little detour before getting onto the highway.  She and I set off around noon but while the GPS was taking its sweet time orienting itself we stumbled upon the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis.  Neither one of us is Catholic but there is something compelling for both of us in the magnificent architecture that one can find in cathedrals. 
This particular one was really impressive and when we spotted a parking space right at the front steps we figured we had better go for it.  I was busy at the huge front doors reading a plaque when Joyce whispered excitedly from just inside the door, “You have to see this.”

  If I thought the outside was impressive my mouth opened up at the incredible interior.  Throughout the ceiling were tiny golden tiles that would glint when seen in different angles.  And of course, fresco after fresco of biblical scenes and sayings in multiple-domed roofs.  We wandered about for almost an hour until our necks began to ache from looking at all the beauty above us.  Joyce got a few nice camera shots before we finally hit the highway.

1 comment:

  1. The basilica was unusual in that it was apparently Roman Catholic but had a very Byzantine feel with all of the mosaics. I thought it was Orthodox until Kelly told me the Roman Pope had visited. Anyone going through St. Louis should definitely visit this cathedral. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete