September
23rd, Park City, UT
Monday
morning in Park City was a leisurely beginning.
Joyce and I were loathe to leave the comforts of Silvia’s AirBnB home
and it was nice not to have an agenda after the long haul from Denver. With getting such a late start, we decided on
strolling around the historic Main Street area and checking out all the art
galleries and shops. The day was another
perfect day of warm sun, blue sky and just cool enough for a pullover.
Park City
was a familiar place for me but many changes had taken place since I was there
back in 2002. There were quite a few new
buildings and some past restaurants were gone.
I looked for Mother Hubbards’ Brew Pub known for 300 draft beers only to
be disappointed that it was a brand new building and that cool cellar bar was
gone. Park City had its beginnings as a
rough and rowdy silver mining town and became a cool place for powder hounds,
youthful adventurers and the streets full of peoples’ dogs with freedom to roam
and a treat around every corner. It has lost a lot of that feel now but I was
happy to see big water bowls set out for dogs and at least one gallery owner
had his dog at work with him. People are
still friendly and the mountains envelope the city with beauty and dramatic
appeal. It felt good to be back in
surroundings I knew. I still managed to
get around without a map. We finished
our gallery walk with a beer at the No Name Saloon, an icon and main stay of Main.
I had
been telling Joyce about this high country road above the tree line where the
views were amazing and we may see some wildlife. After a false start, I got us heading up and
up.
One of
the high points of that day for me was dinner with my wonderful friend, Ruth, from
my massage school days. Ruth was a real
mentor for me, not only in the school but with my job at Utah College of
Massage Therapy. I knew her first as a
coworker before she became one of my teachers but right from the start we had a
deep friendship. Truly one of the
kindest-hearted people I know. I had not
seen her since I left Utah back in 2002 so I was quite excited to finally lay
eyes on her.
We met
for dinner in Salt Lake City at the Red Rock Brewery and I practically jumped
up and down when she walked through the door.
Big hugs and kisses all around as I introduced her to Joyce. It was so great to see her and I was amazed
at how little she has changed in 11 years.
Still the same lovely, sweet woman she’s always been, with her expressive
way of talking that has you not wanting to miss a thing. It was too short of a visit but one I was
very happy to have been able to have.
Our first day in Park City was a full and memorable one. We had only originally planned on being in
Park City for two nights but it became obvious that day we really wanted more
time so we extended another night with our departure as Wednesday morning. To be honest, I think it had a lot to do with
not wanting to leave our paradise at Silvia’s more than anything else J.
No comments:
Post a Comment