Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Wedding Day

September 15th,  Joplin, Missouri


Joyce and I had a bit of a leisurely morning enjoying the quiet of the airbnb apartment.  I've noticed that after a long day of driving, the next morning we seem to feel the need to ease into our day.  Guess the long hours of driving aren't as easy as they used to be ten years ago.  I'm also looking forward to the cooler air of autumn temps as we get into the Rockies.  I don't handle the heat well and my energy level really lags when it's combined with humidity.  However, we have to get ready for more strenuous activities in the mountains so we try to get out and walk/hike whenever we can.  

In the early afternoon we checked out the Wildcat
Glade Conservation Center.  It was an interesting building made with ‘green’ concepts like a roof planted with grasses and plants and surrounding landscaping that is encouraged to reforest with native, natural plants of the region.  We checked out some of the exhibits like a turtle tank where we saw tiny little turtles alongside larger adult species, all with wild markings of intricately-striped heads.  The turtles were a species called False Map Turtles and a subspecies called Mississippi Mud Turtles. 


The tiny babies were barely the size of a silver dollar….so cute but once adults those claws looked pretty capable of a strong defense.  My favorite live creature was a little hummingbird viewed just outside the large picture window around multiple bird feeders.  It was a quick look as the little fella seemed rather shy but it was a pale greenish color and hovered around the sugar water feeder they are so fond of.  There were taxidermy examples of a variety of mammals and birds like the coyote, bobcat, woodpeckers and flickers and some snakes.  It was nice to get outside for some walking and stretching our legs but with time moving along quickly toward the wedding we made our way back to the apartment to get ready for the evening’s event. 


In no time we were rushing out the door and headed over to the Springhouse Gardens, the outdoor venue where Danielle and Barry were to be married. It was a beautiful setting with lovely landscaping and the reception to be held in a refashioned greenhouse.   

The bride and groom looked fabulous and very happy. It was a very hot day so I felt bad for the bride and the men in the wedding party wearing so much in that heat but they
were troopers. Even little Beau, Danielle and Barry's 4-year-old son was a perfect little gentleman and did a great job as the best man.  I especially love the picture Joyce caught of him standing like the big guys as the vows were spoken. 

Joyce and I stayed only until dusk but the celebrating went much later.  I don’t turn into a pumpkin at dusk but it has become evident that as the sun goes down the bugs make a beeline for me with a vengeance.  At some point between St. Louis and Monett I had somehow gotten bitten all over and the itching has been driving me crazy.  My legs look like I have chicken pox and besides covering myself in Biofreeze I have had to take a Benadryl to sleep.  We would have loved to stay at the wedding longer. The venue was all lit up with hundreds of twinkling lights and we would have enjoyed being there but I know I would have become prey once night fell. 




We had a great time and Joyce managed to get quite a few photos with the exception of the one I took of her (which I really love).  We wound down early in the coolness of our apartment after a full and enjoyable day.  Congratulations to the happy couple and safe travels on their honeymoon to Maui!  



                                    



No comments:

Post a Comment