Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Packrat vs. The Minimalist


This is the first official entry of our travel blog for our Mini meanderings trek but we are already a couple days into it by now.  From Saturday, September 7th until Monday, the 9th, 2013 we were busy organizing our gear and packing it all up.  The photos below highlight some of that process which probably should be considered our first adventure.  
 I’m not known for being a light packer so that’s my weakness and Joyce’s challenge (or cross to bear as she rolls her eyes at what I consider must-haves).  
When a friend who knows of my travel piccadilloes heard what Joyce was hoping in terms of light packing her remark of “Good luck with that” didn’t bode well.

Two purchases that really made our packing job possible – a Thule Force roof carrier and compression sacks.  The goal was for all the camping gear and outdoor stuff to fit up top and duffles, cooler, camera, etc. fit inside the car.  My personal travel tip for the reduction of space is compression sacks.  We brought our puffy sleeping bags down to 1/3 the size. 
As of Sunday night, we had pulled off packing up the Thule carrier and it’s rather impressive how much we fit into it.  I was feeling quite optimistic….and then Monday morning rolled around and the Mini interior began to look smaller and smaller.  Joyce was wondering if we would be able to see out of the windows.  We were able to get everything in but I foresaw a culling process over the next few days to put a smile back on Joyce’s face.  I had the feeling she felt like the Mini version of the Clampetts rolling down the highway. 





-Kelly

1 comment: