September
30th, Death Valley, CA
This was
the 3rd Monday of our trip and in the morning our first priorities
were coffee, breakfast and laundry.
Joyce had hit the jackpot in her quest for interesting geological
formations and photo opportunities so exploring would definitely be on the
agenda. With an exploration of the
general store, we learned about a canyon nearby called Artist’s Palette and it looked
to be right up our alley.
Joyce reads all she can find and I learn as she tells me all about it…..she’s my Clift notes!
From the
formation of the incredible geology to the history of the people who crossed
this desert in 20 mule trains, Joyce gave me quite the education about this
area. I was rather stuck on the immensity
of the task of crossing an area like Death Valley under mule power and not Mini
power.
After our
kaleidoscopic driving tour my main priority could be realized….poolside
lounging, reading and staying cool! It
got up to 99 that day. We both were
bound for the shade with our lounge chairs but even with those high temps we
felt the chill from a nice cool breeze.
Just perfect…we spent 4 hours up there and relished every minute of it.
Another
thing we were beginning to contemplate was the rest of our trip with the
government shutdown looking likely. Walt
had mentioned this would impact us and my mom had sent an email on the same
subject. Neither one of us wanted to
think about it before now but we knew we were on the cusp of a total itinerary
change. Still…that evening we let it go
for another day and just enjoyed being in this paradise that sits on one of the
most desolate places I’ve ever seen. Another
nice evening – delicious dinner at the same saloon where the bartenders had a
bit more time for humorous banter and some discussion about our next move on
this trip.
Joyce and
I finally settled on something of a plan, more of a delay though. We chose to drive the next morning the relatively
short distance to Vegas and reassess over the next 24 hours. I guess we were hoping that some kind of
break in the government negotiations would occur. I jumped online while we still had wifi and
found an inexpensive airbnb in Vegas. (Can’t say enough good things about this
mode of lodging). The host was very nice
about the last minute request and with such a short drive ahead of us we knew
we wouldn’t have to rush out Tuesday morning.
Since it
looked like we would be shut out of most of the Southwest in Utah and Colorado,
I was trying to come up with an alternative place for photography of red rock
country. In the back of my mind I was
giving serious thought to Sedona. Joyce
was somewhat on a mission to get some good photos of such colorful terrain to
eventually blow up for a picture on her living room wall at home. I had been up late checking online for any
shutdowns in Sedona and it seemed most of the area was either open or part of
state park land. If there was ever a
good alternative to the Grand Canyon, Sedona would more than fit the bill.
No comments:
Post a Comment