September
28th, Yosemite, CA
This day
had us waking up early again after resting very well. Our campsite was so comfortable with the
exception of the arrival of a bunch of rowdy college age kids partying into the
wee hours. I was kind of surprised no
ranger came by and told them to cool it since they spoke with such strictness
about the rules and regulations such as quiet hours starting at 10pm. It would seem that park rangers are not in
the campgrounds through the night.
Perhaps it is the night air but even though we couldn’t help but hear
them in the clear air we still managed to get decent sleep that night.
We
lingered again for a bit over the morning coffee and campfire but we had a lot
of ground to cover. Aside from the sightseeing of the famed valley we were
desperate for our first showers in a couple days.
I wish I
could describe how incredible it is seeing the Yosemite Valley with the massive
granite rocks towering over the beautiful valley meadows and trees but no words
can do it justice.
The size of towering
cliffs around us is a shock and hard to get perspective until I used my
binoculars to catch sight of a rock climber fixed onto the sheer rock face of
El Capitan. I couldn’t actually make out
there was a human being there but the tiny speck looked to be a makeshift
cocoon of high tech colored nylon against the mottled slate grey of rock. That anyone would put themselves willingly in
that position escapes me but it did give me a realization of the massiveness we
were looking at.
The
colors and contrasts were striking.
There was an achingly blue sky that the cliffs towered against and tall
evergreen trees, some ponderosa and some sequoias, which filled the valley
along with massive boulders strewn among them.
Along with the blue, grey, green colors was the golden hue of meadow
grasses in the center of the valley. A riot
of color that we hoped we could do justice to with our photographs. This valley is stupendous in every way. I can see why so many artists painted
it. I knew that the moment I saw
Yosemite and the Sierra Nevadas depicted in the Hudson Valley style by artists
like Albert Bierstadt that I wanted to see all this for myself. It has been a dream to see this in person and
nothing could prepare me for the reality.
Joyce and
I spent a couple hours exploring the valley and even managed a little side trip
into the gorgeous, high end Ahwahnee Hotel for a cold beer at their bar. It was an experience to walk around and tour
this beautiful hotel with it’s incredible architecture and décor. Nice place for a little relaxing in the
afternoon before our showers and drive back along curvy mountain roads to our
campsite.
Our hopes of ranger intervention with regards to
the rowdy neighbors were realized when we heard one of the culprits shushing
another of their group when he began talking too loudly around 10pm. That was good news for us as the next day
would have us breaking camp and on the road again for a long drive to Death
Valley. We were tired and needed a good
night’s sleep which we thankfully were able to get. Our next destination for Sunday night was a
room at Furnace Creek Ranch in the heart of Death Valley. Onward and now after almost three weeks….eastward
for a change.
No comments:
Post a Comment