Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Yosemite or Bust


September 26th,  Yosemite National Park, CA

Joyce and I were working on doing better with regard to our schedule or actually, I was doing better about estimations on travel time due to a bit of a lecture on the topic by Joyce.  I needed to hear it and vowed to do better.  My usual style of ‘laissez-faire’ was not working when it comes to getting to campsites before dark.  And let me tell you, it really does make a difference. 

Needless to say, we had a lot of miles to cover and managed much to our disbelief to be on our way west by 8:30 that morning.  The most important focus of today’s driving through the rest of Nevada and into the Sierra Nevada mountains was watching our gas tanks and good water intake.  The gas issue was the absolutely most important thing with long expanses of highway through remote nothingness and no facilities whatsoever.  One of our first stretches was 167 miles before the next gas station.  I was grateful for the reliable Mini because even if one had AAA or roadside assistance it wouldn’t do you any good since they couldn’t be reached.  Not a cell signal for miles and even GPS was sketchy.  Of course, GPS wasn’t needed as there was only one road and only two directions to go.  We went full blast forward and I do mean full blast woohoo!

I was determined to make up some time if possible and what better highway to do it on than this.  We were on Highway 6 that crosses Nevada, just below Highway 50.  It is flat in the basin areas with hardly any turns so within no time I was accustomed to cruising at close to 100 mph.  We were checking our time versus the prescribed time and I managed to chop off an hour from the norm during that 167 mile dash.  What fun and no concern for getting nabbed by radar….it’s not worth the time or expense to patrol that highway. 

It was still a long day of driving even with the high speeds across Nevada but we finally got out of the Basin and Range territory upon nearing Mono Lake.   It was intriguing to see the Great Basin but I have to admit to feeling some relief at getting out of it.  There just isn’t much room for error out there.  If you ever find yourself driving across that territory, pay close attention to all the precautions.  It’s serious business out there and not a place to flake out.


We came off that basin area with the shock of Mono Lake.  One moment you are surrounded by flat desert and the next you go up a slight incline and summit to look down on a huge lake with forested mountains beyond.  This lake was near the edge of the eastern entrance of Yosemite so we were getting close….or so we thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment