October 5th, Jerome, AZ
On Saturday,
we ventured out on another perfect weather day.
It really was beginning to be uncanny how great our weather had been,
from one place to the next. Daytime
temps were in the low 70’s and nighttime temps were low 40’s…..our idea of
perfect for both daytime adventures and sleeping under the stars. We had found out that anything over 50
degrees and our sleeping bags were too warm.
She set
the tone right off the bat when I asked her about a particular drink called a
Big Nose Kate. She says, “That’s me.”
Now, even if someone has a big nose, my momma taught me it’s not polite
to point out such things but she just went there all on her own. I responded, “Ummm, what do you mean?” She turns her profile to me and
responds, “The drink is named after me.” “So, you’re famous then?!” She grinned so photogenically we just
couldn’t resist getting a photo for remembrance sake. Joyce described her perfectly: “She looks like Angelica Huston’s younger
sister.” I couldn’t agree more but I’d
be interested if anyone else sees that resemblance.
Kate, the
famous bartender, regaled us with the other cocktails on the list and aside
from ordering a couple of Dos
Equis for us, I decided to try an odd cocktail combination that Kate swore was a cure for altitude sickness. It was called a Pickle something. It was a shot of pickle juice followed by a shot of tequila. I know it sounds so weird but it really kind of worked. Joyce had come up with her own variation of this a long time ago and tried to talk me into trying it but I had resisted….until now. Joyce looked at me with a touch of affront and I said the only thing I could say, “I couldn’t refuse Angelica Huston’s younger sister now could I?”
Equis for us, I decided to try an odd cocktail combination that Kate swore was a cure for altitude sickness. It was called a Pickle something. It was a shot of pickle juice followed by a shot of tequila. I know it sounds so weird but it really kind of worked. Joyce had come up with her own variation of this a long time ago and tried to talk me into trying it but I had resisted….until now. Joyce looked at me with a touch of affront and I said the only thing I could say, “I couldn’t refuse Angelica Huston’s younger sister now could I?”
Joyce and I were reluctant to leave Kate’s
company and the kind of banter that occurs when you forget time and schedules
and just let the day unfold as it will.
But, reality set in and as other customers demanded her attention, we
made our way back down the mountain and on to the red canyons.


No comments:
Post a Comment