September
26th, Yosemite National Park, CA
Our ‘fast
and furious’ trek to make it to our campground before dark was still a chancy
proposition as we entered into the late afternoon. We passed through the eastern gate of
Yosemite National Park with about three hours until dark. According to GPS we had more than two hours
of driving within the park itself before reaching camp but now we were seeing
one gorgeous view after another. I was
thankful that Joyce had chosen to drive since this was my first glimpse of this
incredible park and my head was swiveling constantly.
The road
was perched oftentimes on the edge of mountains but still a very nice
highway. I could see deep canyons and
forests of pine everywhere. It’s really
hard to describe the kind of grand and magnificent scenery we were passing
through.
Most of the talk is about the
Yosemite Valley but the whole park is gorgeous.
I knew at the first drive through that we didn’t have enough days to
cover so much ground but I was going to enjoy what we could see. The Tuloumne Meadows area was beautiful but
the famed Valley would have to wait for another day. It took us about 2 hours of driving on a
curvy mountainous road to reach the Wawona campground where we had a reserved
site for four nights. And we made it
before dark! We were so relieved.
Our
campsite was really lovely with towering ponderosa pine trees all around and
the Merced River babbling away next to us.
There were 3 loops to this particular campground and our loop was the
last and we thought…the quietest (Friday night would prove that to be
wrong). There are only flush toilets and
sinks plus a large outdoor sink for washing up cookware and the like. That’s it…no showers. I tend to be someone who really likes a
nighttime shower before bed but the closest showers were an hour away up in the
Valley. This would be quite a test for
me. I had made sure to pick up a large
package of thick cleansing wipes but still…hoping I could deal.
We set up
our campsite and decided to go with an easy dinner since dusk was approaching
fast. We had hot dogs on long skewers
over a fire, humus and crackers and red wine….not fancy but easy and no
cleanup. After all the driving we were
both whipped and ready for our sleeping bags before 9pm that night. We made sure everything, and I mean
everything, was put into the bear proof food locker provided by the camp. Even our toiletry bag with toothpaste had to
be put in there. The park had strict
rules about these things and I hoped that other people would stick by them as
well as us. I had heard about the bear
problems in Yosemite in the past and was on alert for a while in our tent.
Long
before 10pm (quiet hours) the C Loop area was mostly quiet and dark had fully
set in around 7:30pm. The temps that day
had been around low 70’s but when we were slipping into our tent for the night
the temps had dropped around high 40’s.
It would eventually go down to low 40’s that first night but we were
totally snug and comfortable in our Marmot Limelight 3 season tent (highly
recommend this tent). We had not really
tested what we could withstand regarding colder nighttime temps while camping
but our first night at Yosemite relaxed our concerns. We slept great. Luckily we had found some of the only cold
weather sleeping bags that will zip together to create a double bag so combined
body heat really helped keep us warm and toasty. I was starting to feel pretty good about this
camping thing. The sleeping pads we
picked up were insanely comfortable and my normal low back pain was almost
non-existent. We were in one of the most
beautiful national parks camping under some big Ponderosas and next to rushing
water….life truly was good.
No comments:
Post a Comment